Before Joining a Class
• Download Zoom
• Make sure your device is set up correctly (i.e. your microphone and camera are switched on in your settings).
• Have pillows and/or props close to hand and ideally not blocking your body from the camera view.
Camera Set Up:
• You have the option to turn your camera. However, we would like to see you so we can verbally cue everyone as always.
• Make sure your IT device is set up correctly (i.e. your microphone and camera is switched on in your settings).
• Place your camera or device on a low table or foot stool, about five feet away from your body. The screen should be the screen angled slightly down, showing a side view of your body.
• Avoid facing camera toward a window - you will appear very dark on the screen. If this is your only option, close the curtains. Lights on in the room can also help the image.
Microphone Set Up:
• The microphone on your device should be enough. Make sure your device is set up correctly (i.e. your microphone and camera is switched on in your settings)
• If Zoom prompts you about audio, please select Computer Audio.
Set a Display Name:
• Open Zoom and log in. Make sure that you set up your Display Name to your actual name, so that we know who is requesting to join.
• If there is more than one person in a family joining the class, ensure your devices are set away from another, to avoid potential device ‘feedback’.
Note: If you use your mobile phone, and it rings during class, your video screen will go blank until the call stops.
Request to Join A Meeting:
• Join the meeting (class) 5 minutes or so prior to your class start, so you can get your camera set up ready and we can start on time.
• If you have any concerns or changes to health, do send your teacher a message in advance. This can be done from Zoom, or by text or email.
(*Note: Your teacher will mute your mic once the class starts, and then unmute it at the end for any questions.)
• Click on the icon ‘join’ and you will be prompted to add the Meeting ID you received in your email. You can also click on the link in the email.
You will be sent to the Waiting Room. Your teacher will be notified that you are waiting.
• Have your mic ‘on’ (your mic will automatically be muted when you enter the classroom).
Virtual Class Etiquette:
• Press on the Camera Icon if your video does not auto-start when you are invited in to class.
• When the class is ready to begin, you will be moved into the classroom by your teacher. Your microphone will be automatically muted by the teacher upon entering.
• We recommend that you set your view to ‘Gallery’. This allows you to see everyone in the class. It will remind you that everyone is listening when you speak and to feel part of a ‘class community’.
• If you wish to ask a question, you should wave- your teacher will unmute your mic. Please note, the mic will automatically allow you to be ‘live’ and everyone in the Virtual Class will hear what you say. Do give time for your teacher to reply- as there may be a slight delay!
To end a meeting press top left- End Meeting (red)